Once I thought of myself as an empathetic person….but really I’m not. If I were given the choice between a genocide in some third world country and my dog getting her quick cut while her nails were being trimmed…I would choose genocide. Not because I don’t value human life; I value all the lives of people I give a shit about. It’s that the sound of my dog crying hurts me more than a news story in the morning about 40 thousand dead people I never will know, never knew and never cared about.
Call me insensitive or inhuman…why the fuck should I care about anyone other than myself? North American culture has tought us to look out for numero uno…so why shouldn’t the bill for pet care in America be higher than the bill for human care in Africa?
Our trash goes in the dump and our shoe and T-Shirt makers…well they’re out of sight too. What kind of a god damn free world is this…where my instinct is to feel that way and I have to stop…realise error and correct this mechanism of thinking.
Narcissistic personality disorder? NO FUCKING SHIT. Our whole goddamn country suffers from it.
I do love my dog though.
No comments:
Post a Comment